Copyright Sunningdale Bowling Club 2021
Sunningdale Bowling Club was established in 1913, not at our present site in Whitmore Lane, but situated in Church Road, Sunningdale on land which formed the Old Vicarage garden opposite Miss Hodder’s woolshop, being at the time the Village Post Office.
Bowling continued there until 1921 by which time the land had been sold off and the new owner would not allow the club to remain. Fortunately a Mrs Kruse came to the rescue by making a gift of a piece of land, our present site, which was the part of the Cahally Estate, to be developed how we please. The only condition that it should be used only as a bowling green or a sports ground and it cannot be sold for building or other purposes at anytime should the Bowling Club cease to exist. The Club moved to its present position in Whitmore Lane in 1921.
The Club has continued to develop the site with Bowls and bowlers enjoying the green and its surroundings. The original pavilion was completely destroyed by a direct hit during the bombing in 1940 and another wooden pavilion was erected but it was not until 1962 that electric lighting and a bar were installed.
The present Clubhouse was built in 1985 and since that time much has been done by Members to further improve the amenities which we all enjoy today.
Click here to open a PDF file with the Club history